AP Keenan, an AssuredPartners company, is a successful insurance brokerage and consulting firm meeting the insurance needs of hospitals, public entities and California school districts. AP Keenan specializes in providing consulting services in the areas of: employee benefits, workers' compensation, loss control, financial, and property & liability. We have seen continuous growth and success, and are positioned to lead the industry into the 21st century. Together, with AssuredPartners, we continue to grow at a rapid pace, and so do the opportunities for our current and future employees.
As part of an industry-leading team, you will help empower results for our clients by delivering innovative and effective solutions as part of our Health & Benefits business group within APKeenan. This candidate can be based out of our Southern CA offices.
The Vice President & Actuary will provide actuarial, underwriting and analytical work for medical, dental, life, and other coverages essential to supporting the account and consulting teams. Manage underwriting team by providing training and supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepare self-funded analysis and cost projections for medical, dental and vision programs
- Price and evaluate various plan designs using Milliman actuarial pricing model
- Work with Account Executives in evaluating plan design alternatives to assist clients achieve their cost-sharing goals
- Identify cost drivers by comparing client’s utilization data against other clients in the same industry
- Analyze fully insured renewals to ensure carriers’ proposed increases are reasonable and negotiate reductions as appropriate
- Review and provide actuarial certifications on Incurred But Not Reported (IBNR) reserves
- Perform actuarial determination if client’s prescription drug plan is creditable or qualifies for federal subsidy under the RDS program
- Use dashboard programming to develop interactive reports with tables and graphs that can easily be visualized and understood by clients
- Assist SVP of BUAD with Stop-Loss and CompleteCare programs
- Develop project schedules, manage quality and timeliness of client deliverables
- Develop tools and processes that can increase efficiencies and minimize errors
- Train junior analysts in underwriting and actuarial skills
- Mentor summer interns and junior staff
- Supervise underwriters
- Perform all other duties as necessary or assigned
MINIMUM SUGGESTED QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum of five (5) years of direct experience in Group insurance, Administration/ Management, and in servicing clients, with emphasis on school district clients.
- Minimum ASA or FSA level preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, or a combination of education and 7-10 years of experience underwriting with indemnity, PPO, HMO, self-funded, and alternative funding options.
- Excellent organization, and oral and written communication skills and proficient in conducting virtual conference calls.
- Ability to prioritize and process multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong sense of urgency and research and reporting skills.
- Departmental, organization and management skills.
- Proficiency in budgets, forecasts, mathematics and advanced accounting.
SOFTWARE: Proficient in Microsoft Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word. Adept at accessing business data from the Internet when required.